About Me

My photo
I have been a Freelance Artist since 2006. I'm married with two wonderful children and live in Maple Ridge, British Columbia. I primarily work in book and magazine publishing. I have illustrated four books so far, "Maple Leaf Forever?" (2008 - Author Paul Keery) and "R.B. Bennett: The Grinch Who Gave Away a Million" (2008 -Author Alan Skeoch, unpublished). Both for Jackfruit Press. In 2012 "Canada at War: A Graphic History of World War Two" was published by Douglas & McIntyre. This was my first graphic novel based on an earlier concept of mine and written by Paul Keery. It was critically praised in Canada and the US, became a CBA best seller and went into 2nd printing. My fourth book "The Night Wanderer", a GN adaptation of the novel by Drew Taylor was released in August 2013. My work has also been published in Kayak and Legion Magazines. My caricatures and stock art are available at artizans.com

This is one of my favorite images even though it took a while to do and still doesn't look quite right.
I'm not a huge Badfinger fan - but I am a fan, and I really wanted to do a caricature of them, with an emphasis on their unfortunate history.
For those who don't know the story, Badfinger was a British band that achieved a fair amount of success from the Late '60's to mid '70's. They, along with James Taylor were one of the most important acts to be signed to The Beatles Apple label. Paul McCartney wrote their first hit "Come and Get It",
and while they were extremely talented musicians and arrangers in their own right who would go on to write a string of hits of their own, some becoming even bigger hits for other artists, they would always be associated with The Beatles due mainly to their tight, melodic harmonies which closely resembled the Fab Four's.
The band was plagued with problems from early on. There were the usual ego clashes compounded by lousy record deals and a Manager who ripped them off for almost everything they earned. They generated millions for others and wound up broke and depressed. Guitarist Pete Ham became so despondent that in 1975 he hung himself in his studio, effectively ending Badfinger. A failed comeback attempt and band infighting triggered bassist Tom Evans suicide in 1983. Drummer Mike Gibbons died of natural causes in 2005, leaving Joey Molland the only surviving member. He currently eeks out a living performing as "Joey Molland's Badfinger".
I wanted this caricature to capture, as best as a caricature can, an impending sense of doom , ala Edgar Allen Poe (thus the Raven peering at them).

No comments:

Post a Comment