About Me

My photo
I have been a Freelance Artist since 2006. I'm married with two wonderful children and live in Maple Ridge, British Columbia. I primarily work in book and magazine publishing. I have illustrated four books so far, "Maple Leaf Forever?" (2008 - Author Paul Keery) and "R.B. Bennett: The Grinch Who Gave Away a Million" (2008 -Author Alan Skeoch, unpublished). Both for Jackfruit Press. In 2012 "Canada at War: A Graphic History of World War Two" was published by Douglas & McIntyre. This was my first graphic novel based on an earlier concept of mine and written by Paul Keery. It was critically praised in Canada and the US, became a CBA best seller and went into 2nd printing. My fourth book "The Night Wanderer", a GN adaptation of the novel by Drew Taylor was released in August 2013. My work has also been published in Kayak and Legion Magazines. My caricatures and stock art are available at artizans.com

Canada at War

This is the title page spread for Canada at War: A Graphic History of World War Two. The book has been out for only 3 months and has already gone into 2nd printing as well as being on The Canadian Booksellers Association's  bestsellers list for nearly 2 months. A heart felt thanks to everyone and anyone who bought a copy.

2 comments:

  1. Michael, I signed "Canada at War" out of the library on a whim, and I must say I think your artwork in this volume is outstanding. I love the pacing of the book, with very few pages having more than three or four panels.

    I find that the balance between word and image in each panel is just right...not too much verbiage, which in my opinion is one of the greatest weaknesses of most "documentary comics."

    The colours are among the most vibrant that I have seen in any graphic work; I especially love the fiery orange skies with silhouetted images, big blue skies with wisps of cloud, and the gradients and airbrush effects used in many of your drawings.

    Really great work. Yet another victory for Douglas & McIntyre. Congratulations.

    Regards,

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrian. I'm glad you liked the book. Make sure to check out "We Are the Dead: The Canadians and the First World War" (working title). Due out Spring 2014.

    M

    ReplyDelete